[Accessibility-ia2] text attributes vs object attributes

Pete Brunet brunet at us.ibm.com
Thu May 8 12:26:29 PDT 2008

I am almost done with the text attributes spec at
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Accessibility/IAccessible2/TextAttributes

I have to update the text spec based on recent decisions:

Character attributes:
Add writing-mode attribute as defined at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#writing-mode - this defines text direction rl,
lr, tb (top to bottom).
Add language attribute with values formatted according to IETF RFC 3066,
e.g. en-US, de-DE.
Paragraph attribute:
margin-top should be added to the already existing
margin-left/right/bottom attributes

I think all the attributes in the character section of the tables in the
spec should be exposed via IAText::attributes.

A question remains for the ones in the list and paragraph sections.  The
Symphony text attribute spec which was the starting point for this spec
has the list and paragraph attributes exposed via IAText::attributes.  It
seems to be a better fit to expose them as object attributes exposed via
IAccessible2::attributes.

Is that acceptable?

p.s. For reference, here is the Mozilla text attributes spec:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/TextAttributes

Pete Brunet

IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G