[Accessibility-ia2] Explicit name

Pete Brunet pete at a11ysoft.com
Tue Jul 26 20:43:35 PDT 2011

Hi Jamie, Picky is good - I appreciate it!  Here is the new text
assuming the method is in IAccessibleText:

HRESULT isNamePreferred([out, retval] boolean* isPreferred);

Indicates that a content author has provided ancillary text in addition
to the primary text of an object and that the server has chosen to use
that ancillary text for this object's accessible name in preference to
the object's primary text.

A true value indicates that the accessible name is different from, and
more meaningful than, the text that is returned from
IAccessibleText::text.  Typically an object's accessible name is taken
directly from the object's textual content and is equivalent to the text
from IAccessibleText::text, but a true value is returned when the server
has chosen to use ancillary text rather than the accessible's primary
textual content when generating the accessible name.

Some examples that could be seen in an IAccessible2 implementation of a
web browser are:

1) <a href="http://www.adomain.com">content</a>  In this case the
accessible name will be "content" and isPreferred will be false.

2) <a href="http://www.adomain.com" title="a title">content</a>  If the
title text is used for the accessible name, isPreferred will be true.

3) <a href="http://www.adomain.com" aria-label="a label">content</a>  If
the aria-label text is used for accessible name, isPreferred will be true.

4) <div id="label">a label</div><div role="radio"
aria-labelledby="label">content</div>  If the label text is used for the
accessible name, isPreferred will be true.

If this method returns true assistive technology may choose to present
the user with the accessible name rather than the text from
IAccessibleText::text.

Parameters:
isPreferred is true if the server prefers the use of the accessible name
over the text from IAccessibleText::text.

Return values:
S_OK

--
*Pete Brunet*

a11ysoft - Accessibility Architecture and Development
(512) 467-4706 (work), (512) 689-4155 (cell)
Skype: pete.brunet
IM: ptbrunet (AOL, Google), ptbrunet at live.com (MSN)
http://www.a11ysoft.com/about/
Ionosphere: WS4G