[bitcoin-dev] Increasing the blocksize as a (generalized) softfork.

joe2015 at openmailbox.org joe2015 at openmailbox.org
Mon Dec 21 03:04:31 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-21 02:17, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 4:56 AM, joe2015--- via bitcoin-dev
> <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> An Arbitrary Block-size Increase Via a Generalized Softfork
>
> This seems conceptually similar to "extension blocks":
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-May/008356.html
> [1]
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=283746.0 [2]
> http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-wizards/2015-12-20.log [3]
>
> "Extended blocks" are also mentioned over here too:
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1296628.msg13307275#msg13307275
> [4]

The main difference is that my proposal does not introduce different
"tiers" of blocks, and does not require uses to move coins to manually
move coins between these tiers.

Instead, my proposal uses a single flat block format that is essentially
the same as the current block format; only bigger.

The main point is that such a change does not require a hardfork with
global consensus, as is commonly assumed, but rather can be deployed
like a softfork using the method described in my original post.

--joe.