[bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Fri Jun 26 12:34:52 UTC 2015

Without looking up specific links I am confident people like Mircea
Popescu will oppose just about any change.  Maybe they don't post their
objection to Github but the point I am making is that no matter what
change you make someone, somewhere will be against it.  Some of the
developers think that Github is the only place that matters and that the
only opinions that matter is a tiny group of insiders.  I don't think
that way which is the reasoning behind my statement.

I am saying that after all the concerns are addressed as far as
reasonably possible someone, somewhere has to decide whether or not to
commit the changes to the official release.  Right now the only person
who makes that decision if the version manager.  I agree it should not
fall onto the shoulders of one person who is also very busy doing other
things.  I am saying there should be some process to move forward and
make decisions when needed.

Also, you already saw one of the Core developers calling me a "troll"
and telling others to ignore my messages.  I have heard of several
people who just drop out of the github discussions because of stuff like
that.  They also delete message from Gihub discussions so that archive
is not 100% credible.  I have seen things like a Github discussion
between 3 or 4 people and then Garzik send out a tweet that there is
near universal approval for the proposed change as it nobody is allowed
to question it.  After watching the github process for a couple years I
simply don't trust it because the developers in charge have a
dictatorial style and they shut out many stakeholders instead of
soliciting their opinions.  I view the Github system as the biggest
centralized choke-point in Bitcoin and probably its biggest threat to
its continued survival.  Anyone can come in and hire a couple core
developers and veto any change they don't want.

Russ