[Bitcoin-development] Reducing the block rate instead of increasing the maximum block size

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:34:43 UTC 2015

The propagation speed gain from having smaller blocks is linear in the size
reduction, down to a small size, after which the delay of the first byte
prevails [1], however the blockchain fork rate increases superlinearly,
giving an overall worse tradeoff. A high blockchain fork rate is a symptom
of inefficient use of the network's mining resources and may give an
advantage to an attacker that is more efficient in communicating internally.

I'd strongly against increasing the block generation rate in Bitcoin, it'd
be a very controversial proposal and would not solve anything.

[1]
http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/file/49318d3f56c1d525aabf7fda78b23fc0/P2P2013_041.pdf