[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes

Alex Morcos morcos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:06:06 UTC 2016

I apologize if this discussion should be moved to -discuss, I'll let the
moderators decide, I've copied both.

And Gavin, I apologize for picking on you here, because certainly this
carelessness in how people represent "facts" applies to both sides, but
much of this discussion really infuriates me.
I believe it is completely irresponsible for you to state:
"There will be approximately zero percentage of hash power left on the
weaker branch of the fork, based on past soft-fork adoption by miners"
Sure, the rest of the technical community is capable of evaluating that for
themselves, but your statements are considered authoritative by much larger
audience.  In truth, no one has any idea what would happen if the proposed
Classic hard fork activated with 75% right now.  There is some chance you
are right, but there is a very legitimate possibility that a concerted
effort would arise to maintain a minority fork or perhaps if miners don't
see nearly a complete switch over, many of them might themselves reverse
the fork if they think it would be easier to achieve consensus that way.
We as a community have never been in such a situation before and it
behooves us to speak honestly and directly about the uncertainty of the
situation.

And the back and forth discussion over your BIP has been in large part a
charade.  People asking why you aren't picking 95% know very well why you
aren't, but lets have an honest discussion of what the risks and in your
mind potential benefits of 75% are.   Important debate about parameters of
your BIP get lost because we're sniping at each other about known
disagreements.  For instance, I strongly believe 28 days is far too short.
I think its extremely unlikely that those who are opposed to a contentious
hard fork will do the development work to prepare for it as that may only
make it more likely to happen.  Thus if you did achieve activation with
75%, its almost impossible to imagine that if Bitcoin Core decided to come
along (as opposed to pursuing a minority fork) that they'd have the time to
develop and test the patch and roll it out to wide adoption.   If the goal
of your attempt is that any minority that disagreed will "choose" to follow
the majority branch, then you'd be much more likely to achieve that by
giving them time to decide that's what they wanted and roll out the
software to do so.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Gavin Andresen via bitcoin-dev <