[Bridge] IP address on bridged interface

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Thu Mar 5 08:53:25 PST 2009

Normally it does not make sense to put any L3 protocol address on port
interfaces - because incoming packets are diverted to the bridge
interface before the L3 protocol is examined. This means the L3 protocol
running on the port interface will never see any incoming packets.

There are a few rare circumstances where it makes sense to have IP
addresses on the port interfaces - it can be done with the use of the
ebtables BROUTE chain - this allows one to selectively pass frames to
the L3 protocol decode on a port rather than passing them to the bridge
interface. One situation where I have used this trick is on an NFS root
mounted networking device. On kernel boot the kernel NFS code assigns an
IP address directly to the ethernet port. Once my networking code starts
it creates a bridge and puts the ethernet port into the bridge. This
stops the NFS root mount from working, and the machine halts. The work
around is to put an ebtables rule in place to allow the NFS root mount
IP address to continue working.

Simon