[Ce-android-mainline] ram console proposal update and questions

Colin Cross ccross at android.com
Mon Feb 20 00:55:31 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Shuah Khan <shuahkhan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ECC is still there, but I took out all the config options.  In the
>> future drivers may want to customize the ECC options, but for now I
>> just defaulted them to sensible values (the same as the current
>> default values).
>
> Any chance I can get access to the early bits still in testing. I
> don't mind being on the bleeding edge.

Sent the stack of 10 patches to you and the ce-android-mainline list.
I will send it to lkml eventually.

> CONFIG_DEBUG_LL is ARM only option. Tim and others, any thoughts on
> EARLY_INIT support going away? Maybe the answer is bringing
> CONFIG_DEBUG_LL to a generic kernel.

Regardless of the presence of CONFIG_DEBUG_LL,
CONFIG_ANDROID_RAM_CONSOLE_EARLY_INIT is not generally the easiest way
to debug early crashes.  If the kernel crashes so early that the
console is not up, it will probably crash on the next boot as well, so
there is no way to get the previous crash out of the ramconsole.  The
only way to make it work is to alternate between booting a kernel that
crashes early and one that does not, so you can pull the ramconsole
log from the crashing kernel with the working kernel.  Complicated
enough that we usually just find an easier way to debug (like
CONFIG_DEBUG_LL).