[cgl_discussion] Re: [os_drivers] Re: [Desktop_architects] [Announce:] Creation of Open Source Device Drivers Information Site

Gerrit Huizenga gh at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 14 12:51:41 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:10:03 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Is this site meant for kernel drivers only? Or for drivers in general? I
> ask because I am maintaining linuxprinting.org, which is the principal
> information source about printer drivers. So if the site intends to list
> also printers, I think we should somehow cooperate. I think it is a good
> idea, to have one site to get compatibility and driver info for all
> types of hardware.
>
>     Till
>

> Craig Thomas wrote:
> >
> > The site is located here: http://developer.osdl.org/dev/opendrivers
> >
> > This site will initially focus on drivers for systems used as
> > desktops, data center servers, carrier grade systems, and mobile
> > devices.  These drivers include (but are not limited to) the following:
> >
> >  - storage
> >  - network
> >  - printer
> >  - video
> >  - sound

I agree with others that have posted - I think the site would
benefit from being broader than just kernel if there is some
committment to keep the relevent pointers/appropriate information
up to date.  One stop shopping from multiple perspectives is usually
a good thing.  Even if the OSDL site only provides a link, that is
forward progress.

If it includes a few of the items that Mary indicated (such as a list
of missing printer drivers) then we can possibly add some vendor
awareness to that list and maybe help improve the overall availability
of all types of drivers (kernel device drivers, printer drivers, etc.)
for Linux.

Of course, efforts should always be applied to the biggest pain points
first.  ;-)

gerrit