[Devel] Re: [patch 05/10] add "permit user mounts in new namespace" clone flag

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Thu Apr 12 21:45:33 PDT 2007

"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:

> Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos at szeredi.hu):
>> From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi at suse.cz>
>>
>> If CLONE_NEWNS and CLONE_NEWNS_USERMNT are given to clone(2) or
>> unshare(2), then allow user mounts within the new namespace.
>>
>> This is not flexible enough, because user mounts can't be enabled for
>> the initial namespace.
>>
>> The remaining clone bits also getting dangerously few...
>>
>> Alternatives are:
>>
>>   - prctl() flag
>>   - setting through the containers filesystem
>
> Sorry, I know I had mentioned it, but this is definately my least
> favorite approach.
>
> Curious whether are any other suggestions/opinions from the containers
> list?

Given the existence of shared subtrees allowing/denying this at the mount
namespace level is silly and wrong.

If we need more than just the filesystem permission checks can we
make it a mount flag settable with mount and remount that allows
non-privileged users the ability to create mount points under it
in directories they have full read/write access to.

I don't like the use of clone flags for this purpose but in this
case the shared subtress are a much more fundamental reasons for not
doing this at the namespace level.