Getting the new RxRPC patches upstream

Oleg Nesterov oleg at tv-sign.ru
Fri Apr 20 14:28:35 PDT 2007

On 04/20, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:41:46 +0100
> David Howells <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > There are only two non-net patches that AF_RXRPC depends on:
> >
> >  (1) The key facility changes.  That's all my code anyway, and shouldn't be a
> >      problem to merge unless someone else has put some changes in there that I
> >      don't know about.
> >
> >  (2) try_to_cancel_delayed_work().  I suppose I could use
> >      cancel_delayed_work() instead, but that's less efficient as it waits for
> >      the timer completion function to finish.
>
> There are significant workqueue changes in -mm and I plan to send them
> in for 2.6.22.  I doubt if there's anything in there which directly
> affects cancel_delayed_work(), but making changes of this nature against
> 2.6.21 might lead to grief.

I think it is better to use cancel_delayed_work(), but change it to use
del_timer(). I belive cancel_delayed_work() doesn't need del_timer_sync().

We only care when del_timer() returns true. In that case, if the timer
function still runs (possible for single-threaded wqs), it has already
passed __queue_work().

Oleg.