namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sat Dec 1 11:54:52 PST 2007

Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:10:17 -0500
> Mark Lord <lkml at rtr.ca> wrote:
>
>> > Now that we have network namespace support merged it is time to
>> > revisit the sysfs support so we can remove the dependency on !SYSFS.
>>
>> Now that the namespace updates are part of 2.6.24,
>> there is a major inconsistency in network EXPORT_SYMBOLs.
>>
>> It used to be that an external network module could get away without
>> having to add a MODULE_LICENSE("GPL*") line to the source.
>>
>> In support of that, common networking functions (still) use EXPORT_SYMBOL()
>> rather than the more restrictive EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().
>>
>> Eg.  register_netdev(), sk_alloc(), __dev_get_by_name().
>>
>> But now, none of those three are actually usable by default,
>> because they all require "init_net", which is EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().

Which alternative kernel does the above comment apply to?

> Then init_net needs to be not GPL limited. Sorry, we need to allow
> non GPL network drivers.

For the record network drivers should not be affected.  As a practical
measure that just gets unmaintainable and it is unnecessary.

There are specific exceptions where network drivers mess with the userspace
interfaces where I do have some impact.  However if you are messing
with our userspace interface especially with network namespaces in place
I don't see how it is possible for you to be anything other then a derivative
work, and something we need in tree to keep maintenance a manageable thing.

It should just be the core of the network stack that struct net has some
effect on.

> There is a fine line between keeping the
> binary seething masses from accessing random kernel functions, and allowing
> reasonable (but still non GPL) things like ndiswrapper to use network
> device interface.

Does ndiswrapper break?  If so what dubious and unsupportable thing is
it doing?