[patch 0/1] [RFC][net namespace] veth ioctl management

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Mon Feb 19 10:24:31 PST 2007

Eric,

> Mostly it is six of one half a dozen of the other as far as the actual implementation
> is concerned.  The practical difference is etun is not tied in any way shape or
> form to namespaces, whereas veth appears to be.
veth is not tied to namespaces as well.
it is possible to create a pair of veth devices in host system for example.

> Currently the L2 stuff derived from OpenVZ appears to be completely
> unmergable because of how the patchset is constructed.
you didn't say it before... :)
can you point to *exact* issues we can fix?
I really think that commenting each other approaches
and fixing this we can go quicker.

> I am very frustrated that you are attacking me about not cooperating.
> I have made comments (that were hopefully constructive) all along the
> way.  At some points in time I was busy so I could not look at things
> in detail, but I have tried across the whole spectrum of the
> namespaces effort.  I finally sat down and wrote my own network
> namespace implementation because some very important points were not
> getting addressed and I had some novel ideas on how to solve some of
> the problems. So I figured the contrast would be useful.  The
> containers list wasn't my primary audience of my RFC but I was
> surprised that I received no comments there.

> Plus this is the biggest problem I see with the OpenVZ derived network
> namespace effort is lack of cooperation with the people who matter.
> The maintainers of the network stack.  Sure people who are actually
> going to use a network namespace have to agree that the code will
> solve the problem in a usable way but if the maintainers of the
> network stack don't like or can't be interested the code is never
> going anywhere.
I hope David is going to visit OLS so we could discuss it orally.
Until that I will try to ask about his position in the email.

Thanks,
Kirill
P.S. as for cooperating - we probably all do it in a poor manner yet,
     at least this is my personal feeling.