[RFD] L2 Network namespace infrastructure

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sat Jun 23 22:45:11 PDT 2007

From: ebiederm at xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:41:16 -0600

> If you want the argument to compile out.  That is not a problem at all.
> I dropped that part from my patch because it makes infrastructure more
> complicated and there appeared to be no gain.  However having a type
> that you can pass that the compiler can optimize away is not a
> problem.  Basically you just make the argument:
>
> typedef struct {} you_can_compile_me_out;  /* when you don't want it. */
> typedef void * you_can_compile_me_out;     /* when you do want it. */
>
> And gcc will generate no code to pass the argument when you compile
> it out.

I don't want to have to see or be aware of the types or the
fact that we support namespaces when I work on the networking
code.

This is why I like the security layer in the kernel we have,
I can disable it and it's completely not there.  And I can
be completely ignorant of it's existence when I work on the
networking stack.