Summary of resource management discussion

Srivatsa Vaddagiri vatsa at in.ibm.com
Tue Mar 13 10:58:20 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:24:59PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> what about identifying different resource categories and
> handling them according to the typical usage pattern?
>
> like the following:
>
>  - cpu and scheduler related accounting/limits
>  - memory related accounting/limits
>  - network related accounting/limits
>  - generic/file system related accounting/limits
>
> I don't worry too much about having the generic/file stuff
> attached to the nsproxy, but the cpu/sched stuff might be
> better off being directly reachable from the task

I think we should experiment with both combinations (a direct pointer
to cpu_limit structure from task_struct and an indirect pointer), get
some numbers and then decide. Or do you have results already with
respect to that?

> > 3. How are cpusets related to vserver/containers?
> >
> > 	Should it be possible to, lets say, create exclusive cpusets and
> > 	attach containers to different cpusets?
>
> that is what Linux-VServer does atm, i.e. you can put
> an entire guest into a specific cpu set

Interesting. What abt /dev/cpuset view? Is that same for all containers
or do you restrict that view to the containers cpuset only?

--
Regards,
vatsa