L2 network namespace benchmarking

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Wed Mar 28 00:55:46 PDT 2007

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano <dlezcano at fr.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> 3. General observations
>> -----------------------
>>
>> The objective to have no performances degrations, when the network
>> namespace is off in the kernel, is reached in both solutions.
>>
>> When the network is used outside the container and the network
>> namespace are compiled in, there is no performance degradations.
>>
>> Eric's patchset allows to move network devices between namespaces and
>> this is clearly a good feature, missing in the Dmitry's patchset. This
>> feature helps us to see that the network namespace code does not add
>> overhead when using directly the physical network device into the
>> container.
>
> Assuming these results are not contradicted this says that the extra
> dereference where we need it does not add measurable to the overhead
> in the Linus network stack.  Performance wise this should be good
> enough to allow merging the code into the linux kernel, as it does
> not measurably affect networking when we do not have multiple
> containers in use.

I have a few questions about merging code into the linux kernel.

* How do you plan to do that ?
* When do you expect to have the network namespace into mainline ?
* Are Dave Miller and Alexey Kuznetov aware of the network namespace ?
* Did they saw your patchset or ever know it exists ?
* Do you have any feedbacks from netdev about the network namespace ?

> Things are good enough that we can even consider not providing
> an option to compile the support out.
>
>> The loss of performances is very noticeable inside the container and
>> seems to be directly related to the usage of the pair device and the
>> specific network configuration needed for the container. When the
>> packets are sent by the container, the mac address is for the pair
>> device but the IP address is not owned by the host. That directly
>> implies to have the host to act as a router and the packets to be
>> forwarded. That adds a lot of overhead.
>
> Well it adds measurable overhead.
>
>> A hack has been made in the ip_forward function to avoid useless
>> skb_cow when using the pair device/tunnel device and the overhead
>> is reduced by the half.
>
> To be fully satisfactory how we get the packets to the namespace
> still appears to need work.
>
> We have overhead in routing.  That may simply be the cost of
> performing routing or there may be some optimizations opportunities
> there.
> We have about the same overhead when performing bridging which I
> actually find more surprising, as the bridging code should involve
> less packet handling.

Yep. I will try to figure out what is happening.

> Ideally we can optimize the bridge code or something equivalent to
> it so that we can take one look at the destination mac address and
> know which network namespace we should be in.  Potentially moving this
> work to hardware when the hardware supports multiple queues.
>
> If we can get the overhead out of the routing code that would be
> tremendous.  However I think it may be more realistic to get the
> overhead out of the ethernet bridging code where we know we don't need
> to modify the packet.

The routing was optimized for the loopback, no ? Why can't we do the
same for the etun device ?