Revert for cgroups CPU accounting subsystem patch

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Mon Nov 12 23:59:50 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 11:59 PM, Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thinking of it more, this requirement to "group tasks for only accounting
> purpose" may be required for other resources (mem, io, network etc) as well?
> Should we have a generic accounting controller which can provide these
> various resource usgae stats for a group (cpu, mem etc) by iterating thr' the
> task list for the group and summing up the corresponding stats already present
> in task structure?

In theory it could certainly be useful - but it can only be done if
something in the kernel is already keeping track of resources on a
per-task basis. This works for CPU, but isn't really possible for
memory without doing something lame like just adding up the tasks' RSS
values (since the page accounting is the hard part - limiting is easy
once you have accounting).

Paul