[RFC][-mm] [1/2] Simple stats for cpu resource controller

Balaji Rao balajirrao at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:09:59 PDT 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 06:54:53 pm Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > I am just wondering. Is local_irq_save() enough?
> > >
> > Hmmm.. You are right.This does not prevent concurrent updates on other
CPUs
> > from crossing a 32bit boundary. Am not sure how to do this in a safe way.
> > can only think of using atomic64_t now..

> So many stats to steal code from,.. but you didn't :-(
>
> Look at mm/vmstat.c, that is a rather complete example.
>
> The trick to solving the above is to use per cpu deltas instead, the
> deltas can be machine word size and are thus always read in an atomic
> manner (provided they are also naturally aligned).

Hi Peter,

This wont work for time based statistics. At nsec granularity, a word can hold
a time value of up to ~4s.

I propose to solve this problem by using a lock to protect the statistics, but
only on 32bit architectures.

I'm not sure how good a solution this is, but that's the best I can think of
ATM.
--
regards,
Balaji Rao