nets: status of sysfs with netns

Daniel Lezcano dlezcano at fr.ibm.com
Fri Apr 11 08:33:03 PDT 2008

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Pavel Emelyanov <xemul at openvz.org> writes:
>
>> Benjamin Thery wrote:
>>> Eric, Pavel,
>>>
>>> I haven't followed everything about the sysfs/netns issue recently and I
>>> think I have missed some of its recent developments in the past weeks.
>>> So I'm wondering what is the current status? Is anyone still working on it?
>> I'm thinking on it, but have no graceful solution :( Sysfs is a big...
>> no - HUUUUUUUUUUGE problem.
>>
>>> As several netns patches for IPv4 and IPv6 have already been merged in
>>> net-2.6.26, it would be great to have the sysfs part also to help people
>>> who want test netns.
>>> Right now, it is a pain to boot and test a system with CONFIG_SYSFS=n.
>>>
>>> (I know the problem is not trivial and won't be easy to solve. I just
>>> want to be sure it is not forgotten)
>> It is (unfortunately) not.
>>
>>> Pavel, I've heard you sent (or have) a patch that prevents sysfs access
>>> from a "child" netns. A patch that can be a good workaround until we
>>> have the full thing ready. I can't find it in mailing lists archives,
>>> can you give some hints about where to find it? :)
>> Hm. I haven't had plans to do such things actually.
>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>
> Sorry guys.  I think my initial reply got lost.
>
> Currently my approach was approved in code review.  The only hold up
> seems to be time, and gregkh getting overloaded and dropping the
> patches, for the Nth time.

Hi Eric,

I tryed to look at your patchset but I was unable to find it. Do you
have it somewhere available ? I was guessing I could play with it and by
the way test it a little ;)

Thanks
  -- Daniel

Sauf indication contraire ci-dessus:
Compagnie IBM France
Siège Social : Tour Descartes, 2, avenue Gambetta, La Défense 5, 92400
Courbevoie
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 542.737.118 ?