Multiple instances of devpts

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Apr 12 12:24:32 PDT 2008

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

>> /dev/ptmx can be a symlink ptmx -> pts/ptmx, and we add a ptmx instance
>> inside the devpts filesystem.  Each devpts filesystem is responsible for
>> its own pool of ptys, with own numbering, etc.
>>
>> This does mean that entries in /dev/pts are more than just plain device
>> nodes, which they are now (you can cp -a a device node from /dev/pts
>> into another filesystem and it will still "just work"), but I doubt this
>> actually matters to anyone.  If anyone cares, now I guess would be a
>> good time to speak up.
>
> Agreed.   That is another legitimate path.  And if all you care about is
> isolation and not dealing with the general class of problems with the
> global device number to device mapping that is sane.  I know we have
> several other virtual devices that we tend to care about but ptys are
> the real world pain point.

Thinking about it further, allowing this restriction would also allow a
whole lot of cleanups inside the pty setup, since it would eliminate the
need to do a separate lookup to find the corresponding devpts entry in
pty_open().  The benefit here comes from the closer coupling between the
pty and the devpts filesystem and isn't at all related to namespaces,
but it's a very nice side benefit.

	-hpa