[RFC] Control Groups Roadmap ideas

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Sun Apr 13 09:11:27 PDT 2008

Quoting Balbir Singh (balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com):
> [...]
> >  >
> >  > This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while trying to
> >  > figure out whether its usefulness is worth the in-kernel complexity,
> >  > versus doing it in userspace. It comes from the idea that although
> >  > cgroups supports multiple hierarchies so that different subsystems can
> >  > see different task groupings, one of the more common uses of this is
> >  > (I believe) to support a setup where say we have separate groups A, B
> >  > and C for one resource X, but for resource Y we want a group
> >  > consisting of A+B+C. E.g. we want individual CPU limits for A, B and
> >  > C, but for disk I/O we want them all to share a common limit. This can
> >  > be done from userspace by mounting two hierarchies, one for CPU and
> >  > one for disk I/O, and creating appropriate groupings, but it could
> >  > also be done in the kernel as follows:
> >  >
> >  > - each subsystem "foo" would have a "foo.inherit" file provided by
> >  > (and handled by) cgroups in each group directory
> >  >
> >  > - setting the foo.inherit flag (i.e. writing 1 to it) would cause
> >  > tasks in that cgroup to share the "foo" subsystem state with the
> >  > parent cgroup
> >  >
> >  > - from the subsystem's point of view, it would only need to worry
> >  > about its own foo_cgroup objects  and which task was associated with
> >  > each object; the subsystem wouldn't need to care about which tasks
> >  > were part of each cgroup, and which cgroups were sharing state; that
> >  > would all be taken care of by the cgroup framework
> >  >
> >  > I've mentioned this a couple of times on the containers list as part
> >  > of other random discussions; at one point Serge Hallyn expressed some
> >  > interest but there's not been much noise about it either way. I
> >  > figured I'd include it on this list anyway to see what people think of
> >  > it.
> >
> >  I guess I'm hoping that if libcg goes well then a userspace daemon can
> >  do all we need.  Of course the use case I envision is having a container
> >  which is locked to some amount of ram, wherein the container admin wants
> >  to lock some daemon to a subset of that ram.  If the host admin lets the
> >  container admin edit a config file (or talk to a daemon through some
> >  sock designated for the container) that will only create a child of the
> >  container's cgroup, that's probably great.
> >

> I thought of doing something like this in libcg (having a daemon and a
> client socket interface), but dropped the idea later. When all
> controllers support multi-levels well, the plan is to create a
> sub-directory in the cgroup hierarchy and give subtree ownership to
> the application administrator.
>
> >  So I'm basically being quiet until I see whether libcg will suffice.
> >

> If you do have any specific requirements, we can cater to them right
> now. Please do let us know. The biggest challenge right now is getting

It sounds like what you're talking about should suffice - the container
can only write to its own subdirectory, and the control files therein
should not allow the container to escape the bounds set for it, only to
partition it.

The only thing that worries me is how subtle it may turn out to be to
properly set up a container this way.  I.e. you'll need to
	mount --bind /etc/cgroups/mycontainer /vps/container1/etc/cgroups
before the container is off and running and be able to then prevent
the cgroup from mounting the host's /etc any other way.

As in so many other cases it shouldn't be too difficult with selinux,
otherwise I suppose one thing you could do is to put the host's
/etc/cgroup (or really the host's /) on partitionN, mount
/etc/cgroup/container from another partitionM, and use the device
whitelist (eventually, device namespaces) to allow the container to
mount partitionM but not partitionN.

So that's the one place where kernel support might be kind of seductive,
but I suspect it would just lead to either an unsafe, an inflexible, or
just a hokey "solution".  So let's stick with libcg for now.  A daemon
can always be written on top of it if people want, and if at some point
we see a real need for kernel support we can talk about it then.

Thanks, Balbir.

> [...]
> >  > userspace didn't understand it could ignore.
> >  >
> >  > The userspace side of this could be handled by libcg.
> >  >

> Yes, it can be easily handled by libcg. I think this is an important
> piece of the cgroup infrastructure.
>
> >  > 8) Subsystems from modules
> >  > ------
> >  >
> >  > Having completely unknown subsystems registered at run time would
> >  > involve adding a bunch of complexity and additional locking to cgroups
> >  > - but allowing a subsystem to be known at compile time but just
> >  > stubbed until first mounted (at which time its module would be loaded)
> >  > should increase the flexibility of cgroups without hurting its
> >  > complexity or performance.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > 7) New subsystems
> >  > -----
> >  >
> >  > - Swap, disk I/O - already being worked on by others
> >  >
> >  > - OOM handler. Exactly what semantics this should provide aren't 100%
> >  > clear. At Google we have a useful OOM handler that allows root to
> >  > intercept OOMs as they're about to happen, and take appropriate action
> >  > such as killing some other lower-priority job to free up memory, etc.
> >  > Another useful feature of this subsystem might be to allow a process
> >  > in that cgroup to get an early notification that its cgroup is getting
> >  > close to OOM. This needs to be a separate subsystem since it could be
> >  > used to provide OOM notification/handling for localized OOMs caused
> >  > either by cpusets or the memory controller.
> >  >
> >  > - network tx/rx isolation. The cleanest way that we've found to do
> >  > this is to provide a per-cgroup id which can be exposed as a traffic
> >  > filter for regular Linux traffic control - then you can construct
> >  > arbitrary network queueing structures without requiring any new APIs,
> >  > and tie flows from particular cgroups into the appropriate queues.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > 8) per-mm owner field
> >  > ----
> >  >
> >  > To remove the need for per-subsystem counted references from the mm.
> >  > Being developed by Balbir Singh
> >

> I have version 9 out. It has all the review comments incorporated. If
> the patch seems reasonable, I'll ask Andrew to include it.
>
> >  I'm slooowly trying to whip together a swapfile namespace - not a
> >  cgroup - which ties a swapfns to a list of swapfiles (where each
> >  swapfile belongs to only one swapfns).  So I also need an mm->task
> >  pointer of some kind.  I've got my own in my patches right now but
> >  sure do hope to make use of Balbir's mm owner field.
>
> Serge, do you have any specific requirements for the mm owner field.
> Will the current patch meet your requirements (including

I'm behind in versions, but the last I took a look it looked great.

thanks,
-serge