Userspace checkpoint/restart hack: cryo

Dave Hansen dave at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 25 10:24:19 PDT 2008

A guy named Marc Vertes wrote this as a little demonstration of
checkpoint/restart.  I've been using it to experiment with
checkpoint/restart.  I thought it might be of some use as we move
subsystems to being helped by the kernel to checkpoint and restart.

It's ptrace-based, and stuck on i386 for now.  It can probably be ported
elsewhere without too much trouble.    It doesn't support *anything
fancy like multuiple tasks :).  It has the advantage of being very
feature-bare, and I think it is pretty easy to hack on.  Whatever c/r
support we add to the kernel could easily be added on and tested.

http://userweb.kernel.org/~daveh/cryo/cryo-001.tar.gz

Usage:
	cr -p `pidof task` > checkpoint.cryo
	cr -r < checkpoint.cryo

If anyone else has something simpler or easier to hack on, I'm all ears.

-- Dave