[patch 0/4] [RFC] Another proportional weight IO controller

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 13:15:36 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:54:14AM -0800, Nauman Rafique wrote:
> [...]
> >  like dm. It looks like real contention for resources is at leaf nodes.
> >  Hence any kind of resource management/fair queueing should probably be
> >  done at leaf nodes and not at higher level logical nodes.
> >
> >  If that makes sense, then probably we don't need to control dm device
> >  and we don't need such higher level solutions.
> >

> > - Any kind of 2 level scheduler solution has the potential to break the
> >  underlying IO scheduler. Higher level solution requires buffering of
> >  bios and controlled release of bios to lower layers. This control breaks
> >  the assumptions of lower layer IO scheduler which knows in what order
> >  bios should be dispatched to device to meet the semantics exported by
> >  the IO scheduler.
> >
> > - 2nd level scheduler does not keep track of tasks but task groups lets
> >  every group dispatch fair share. This has got little semantic problem in
> >  the sense that tasks and groups in root cgroup will not be considered at
> >  same level. "root" will be considered one group at same level with all
> >  child group hence competing with them for resources.
> >
> >  This looks little odd. Considering tasks and groups same level kind of
> >  makes more sense. cpu scheduler also consideres tasks and groups at same
> >  level and deviation from that probably is not very good.
> >
> >  Considering tasks and groups at same level will matter only if IO
> >  scheduler maintains separate queue for the task, like CFQ. Because
> >  in that case IO scheduler tries to provide fairness among various task
> >  queues. Some schedulers like noop don't have any notion of separate
> >  task queues and fairness among them. In that case probably we don't
> >  have a choice but to assume root group competing with child groups.
> >
> > Keeping above points in mind, probably two level scheduling is not a
> > very good idea. If putting the code in a particular IO scheduler is a
> > concern we can probably explore ways regarding how we can maximize the
> > sharing of cgroup code among IO schedulers.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vivek
> >

> It seems that we have a solution if we can figure out a way to share
> cgroup code between different schedulers. I am thinking how other
> schedulers (AS, Deadline, No-op) would use cgroups. Will they have
> proportional division between requests from different cgroups? And use
> their own policy (e.g deadline scheduling) within a cgroup? How about
> if we have both threads and cgroups at a particular level? I think
> putting all threads in a default cgroup seems like a reasonable choice
> in this case.
>
> Here is a high level design that comes to mind.
>
> Put proportional division code and state in common code. Each level of
> the hierarchy which has more than one cgroup would have some state
> maintained in common code. At leaf level of hiearchy, we can have a
> cgroup specific scheduler (created when a cgroup is created). We can
> choose a different scheduler for each cgroup (we can have a no-op for

I am not sure that I understand the different scheduler for each cgroup
aspect of it. What's the need? It makes things even more complicated I
think.

But moving proportional division code out of particular scheduler and make
it common makes sense.

Looking at BFQ, I was thinking that we can just keep large part of the
code. This common code can think of everything as scheduling entity. This
scheduling entity (SE) will be defined by underlying scheduler depending on
how queue management is done by underlying scheduler. So for CFQ, at
each level, an SE can be either task or group. For the schedulers which
don't maintain separate queues for tasks, it will simply be group at all
levels.

We probably can employ B-WFQ2+ to provide hierarchical fairness between
secheduling entities of this tree. Common layer will do the scheduling of
entities (without knowing what is contained inside) and underlying scheduler
will take care of dispatching the requests from the scheduled entity.
(It could be a task queue for CFQ or a group queue for other schedulers).

The tricky part would be how to abstract it in a clean way. It should lead
to reduced code in CFQ/BFQ because B-WFQ2+ logic will be put into a
common layer (for large part).

> The scheduler gets a callback (just like it does right now from
> driver) when the common code schedules a time slice (or budget) from
> that cgroup. No buffering/queuing is done in the common code, so it
> will still be a single level scheduler. When a request arrives, it is
> routed to its scheduler's queues based on its cgroup.
>
> The common code proportional scheduler uses specified weights to
> schedule time slices. Please let me know if it makes any sense. And
> then we can start talking about lower level details.

We can use either time slices or budgets (may be configurable) depending
on which gives better results.

Thanks
Vivek