dm-ioband + bio-cgroup benchmarks

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 07:30:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:36:51PM +0900, Hirokazu Takahashi wrote:
> Hi,

> > >   (snip)

> > > It isn't essential dm-band is implemented as one of the device-mappers.
> > > I've been also considering that this algorithm itself can be implemented
> > > in the block layer directly.
> > >
> > > Although, the current implementation has merits. It is flexible.
> > >   - Dm-ioband can be place anywhere you like, which may be right before
> > >     the I/O schedulers or may be placed on top of LVM devices.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > An rb-tree per request queue also should be able to give us this
> > flexibility. Because logic is implemented per request queue, rules can be
> > placed at any layer. Either at bottom most layer where requests are
> > passed to elevator or at higher layer where requests will be passed to
> > lower level block devices in the stack. Just that we shall have to do
> > modifications to some of the higher level dm/md drivers to make use of
> > queuing cgroup requests and releasing cgroup requests to lower layers.
>
> Request descriptors are allocated just right before passing I/O requests
> to the elevators. Even if you move the descriptor allocation point
> before calling the dm/md drivers, the drivers can't make use of them.

You are right. request descriptors are currently allocated at bottom
most layer. Anyway, in the rb-tree, we put bio cgroups as logical elements
and every bio cgroup then contains the list of either bios or requeust
descriptors. So what kind of list bio-cgroup maintains can depend on
whether it is a higher layer driver (will maintain bios) or a lower layer
driver (will maintain list of request descriptors per bio-cgroup).

So basically mechanism of maintaining an rb-tree can be completely
ignorant of the fact whether a driver is keeping track of bios or keeping
track of requests per cgroup.

> When one of the dm drivers accepts a I/O request, the request
> won't have either a real device number or a real sector number.
> The request will be re-mapped to another sector of another device
> in every dm drivers. The request may even be replicated there.
> So it is really hard to find the right request queue to put
> the request into and sort them on the queue.

Hmm.., I thought that all the incoming requests to dm/md driver will
remain in a single queue maintained by that drvier (irrespective of the
fact in which request queue these requests go in lower layers after
replication or other operation). I am not very familiar with dm/md
implementation. I will read more about it....

> > >   - It supports partition based bandwidth control which can work without
> > >     cgroups, which is quite easy to use of.
> >
> > >   - It is independent to any I/O schedulers including ones which will
> > >     be introduced in the future.
> >
> > This scheme should also be independent of any of the IO schedulers. We
> > might have to do small changes in IO-schedulers to decouple the things
> > from __make_request() a bit to insert rb-tree in between __make_request()
> > and IO-scheduler. Otherwise fundamentally, this approach should not
> > require any major modifications to IO-schedulers.
> >

> > > I also understand it's will be hard to set up without some tools
> > > such as lvm commands.
> > >

> > That's something I wish to avoid. If we can keep it simple by doing
> > grouping using cgroup and allow one line rules in cgroup it would be nice.
>
> It's possible the algorithm of dm-ioband can be placed in the block layer
> if it is really a big problem.
> But I doubt it can control every control block I/O as we wish since
> the interface the cgroup supports is quite poor.

Had a question regarding cgroup interface. I am assuming that in a system,
one will be using other controllers as well apart from IO-controller.
Other controllers will be using cgroup as a grouping mechanism.
Now coming up with additional grouping mechanism for only io-controller seems
little odd to me. It will make the job of higher level management software
harder.

Looking at the dm-ioband grouping examples given in patches, I think cases
of grouping based  in pid, pgrp, uid and kvm can be handled by creating right
cgroup and making sure applications are launched/moved into right cgroup by
user space tools.

I think keeping grouping mechanism in line with rest of the controllers
should help because a uniform grouping mechanism should make life simpler.

I am not very sure about moving dm-ioband algorithm in block layer. Looks
like it will make life simpler at least in terms of configuration.

> > > I think it's a bit late to control I/O requests there, since process
> > > may be blocked in get_request_wait when the I/O load is high.
> > > Please imagine the situation that cgroups with low bandwidths are
> > > consuming most of "struct request"s while another cgroup with a high
> > > bandwidth is blocked and can't get enough "struct request"s.
> > >
> > > It means cgroups that issues lot of I/O request can win the game.
> > >

> > Ok, this is a good point. Because number of struct requests are limited
> > and they seem to be allocated on first come first serve basis, so if a
> > cgroup is generating lot of IO, then it might win.
> >
> > But dm-ioband will face the same issue.
>
> Nope. Dm-ioband doesn't have this issue since it works before allocating
> the descriptors. Only I/O requests dm-ioband has passed can allocate its
> descriptor.

Ok. Got it. dm-ioband does not block on allocation of request descriptors.
It does seem to be blocking in prevent_burst_bios() but that would be
per group so it should be fine.

That means for lower layers, one shall have to do request descritor
allocation as per the cgroup weight to make sure a cgroup with lower
weight does not get higher % of disk because it is generating more
requests.

One additional issue with my scheme I just noticed is that I am putting
bio-cgroup in rb-tree. If there are stacked devices then bio/requests from
same cgroup can be at multiple levels of processing at same time. That
would mean that a single cgroup needs to be in multiple rb-trees at the
same time in various layers. So I might have to create a temporary object
which can associate with cgroup and get rid of that object once I don't
have the requests any more...

Well, implementing rb-tree per request queue seems to be harder than I
had thought. Especially taking care of decoupling the elevator and reqeust
descriptor logic at lower layers. Long way to go..

Thanks
Vivek