BUG in tty_open when using containers and ptrace

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 13 07:20:38 PDT 2009

Quoting Môshe van der Sterre (me at moshe.nl):
> Hello,
>
> I am working on the lxc userspace tools, and got this BUG a couple of
> times.
> Here are the reports:
>
> http://moshe.nl/tty-bugshot1.png
> http://moshe.nl/tty-bugshot2.png
>
> I am running 2.6.29.1 from kernel.org in a virtual machine under kvm.
> I have not been able to reliably reproduce it, but it happens only after
> the container is setup and ptrace is active on lxc-start.
> I think the first screen shot is while all ttys where allowed in
> cgroup.devices, the second one while only tty1 was allowed.

Which distro is this - an uptodate F10, fresh F11, something else?

Since it also happens when all ttys are allowed it probably isn't the
devices cgroup...  Actually the devpts code seems the most likely
cause.  Suka, can you take a look at the 2.6.29.1 source for anything
suspect?

Môshe, can you send me tty_io.S after doing:
	'objdump -d drivers/char/tty_io.o > tty_io.S'

as well as strace_output after doing:
	'strace -f -ostrace_output <your_lxc_start_command_here>'
?

thanks,
-serge