Creating tasks on restart: userspace vs kernel

Alexey Dobriyan adobriyan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:01:50 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 04:10:53PM -0400, Oren Laadan wrote:

> >> I want to extend existing kernel interface to leverage fork/clone
> >> from user space, AND to allow the flexibility mentioned above (which
> >> you conveniently ignored).
> >>
> >> All hacks are in-kernel, aren't they ?
> >
> > mktree.c can be vieved as hack, why not?
>
> Lol .. I meant "all kernel hacks are in-kernel" :)
>

> > The whole existence of these requirements. You want new syscall or SET_NEX_PID
> > or /proc file or something.
>
> Or embed it into a restart(2) call with special argument.
>

> >> As for asking for a specific pid from user space, it can be done by:
> >> * a new syscall (restricted to user-owned-namespace or CAP_SYS_ADMIN)
> >> * a sys_restart(... SET_NEXT_PID) interface specific for restart (ugh)
> >> * setting a special /proc/PID/next_id  file which is consulted by fork
> >
> > /proc/*/next_id was disscussed and hopefully died, but no.
> >
> >> and in all cases, limit this so it can only allowed in a restarting
> >> container, under the proper security model (again, e.g., Serge's
> >> suggestion).

> >> They are special. And I allow them not to be restored, as well, if
> >> the use case so wishes.
> >
> > The use case is to restore as much as possible to the same state as
> > equal as possible. Not going with fork_with_pid() in any form helps
> > kernel to ensure correctness of restore and helps to avoid surprise
> > failure modes from user POV.

> >> Nope. Read the code.
> >
> > Which code?
> >
> > 	static int cr_write_namespaces(struct cr_ctx *ctx, struct task_struct *t)
> > 	{
> >
> > 		new_uts = cr_obj_add_ptr(ctx, nsproxy->uts_ns,
> > 					&hh->uts_ref, CR_OBJ_UTSNS, 0);
> > 		if (new_uts < 0) {
> > 			ret = new_uts;
> > 			goto out;
> > 		}
> >
> > 		hh->flags = 0;
> > 		if (new_uts)
> > 	===>		hh->flags |= CLONE_NEWUTS;
> >
> > 		ret = cr_write_obj(ctx, &h, hh);

> >> That's exactly how it's done.
> >
> > Not for uts_ns and future namespaces.
> >
> > 	ret = cr_restore_utsns(ctx, hh->uts_ref, hh->flags);
> > 						 ^^^^^^^^^
> > 						 comes from disk
>
> Where else would it come from ?  that's part of the state saved during
> checkpoint.

This is bogus part saved during checkpoint.

To restore nsproxy you only need references to uts_ns, ipc_ns, mnt_ns,
pid_ns and net_nsm, no flags.

You can try to be smart and, consequently, end up with checks where
a) flags tell to unshare uts_ns, but reference is the same, and
b) flags don't tell to unshare, but reference is different.

This is unneeded code coming from the way you restore nsproxy
incorrectly.

> That's for nested UTS namespaces,

Just to clear terminology, UTS namespaces aren't nested, only
PID namespaces are.