C/R without "leaks"

Greg Kurz gkurz at fr.ibm.com
Fri Apr 17 05:25:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 05:48 -0400, Oren Laadan wrote:
> You mean an sshd with an open connection probably; the server itself
> is clearly useful to be able to c/r.

Yes I mean C/R of sshd with active connections.

> A canonical example would a virtual-private-server: instead of doing
> server consolidation with a virtual machine, your do with containers.
> In a sense, containers lets you chop the OS into independent isolated
> pieces. You ca use a linux box to run multiple virtual execution
> environments (containers), each running services of your choice. They
> could range from a sshd for users, to apache servers, to database
> servers to users' vnc sessions, etc.

Indeed, containers allow to implement VPS just like virtual machines: we
call them system containers. Not much to say about that since they don't
introduce new concepts to users.

> Now comes the that you really need to take the machine down, for
> whatever reason. With c/r of live connections you can live-migrate
> these containers to another machine (on the same subnet) that will
> "steal" the IP as well, and voila - no service disruption.

Theorically, yes. Practicaly, you need a lot more than *simply* capturing
and restoring socket states for such a migration to be usable in the real
world.

> Such scenarios are the focus of Alexey.

So Alexey should provide some realistic examples, with several hosts,
routers, switches and overall network infrastructure.

> I'm also very interested in these scenarios, and I'm _also_ thinking
> of other scenarios, where either (a) an entire container is not
> necessary (example: user running long computation on laptop and wants
> to save it before a reboot), or (b) the program would like to make
> adjustments to its state compared to the time it was saved (example:
> change the location of an output log file depending on the machine
> on which your are running).

I'm _only_ interested in these other scenarios for the moment.

> Unfortunately, if we plan for and require, as per Alexey, that c/r
> would only work for whole-containers, these two cases will not be
> addressed.

Discussion must go on then. There's no hurry in getting C/R
mainlined. :)

Gregory Kurz                                     gkurz at fr.ibm.com
Software Engineer @ IBM/Meiosys                  http://www.ibm.com
Tel +33 (0)534 638 479                           Fax +33 (0)561 400 420

"Anarchy is about taking complete responsibility for yourself."
        Alan Moore.