how to handle devpts

Louis Rilling Louis.Rilling at kerlabs.com
Tue Dec 1 01:37:08 PST 2009

Hi Serge,

On 30/11/09 14:22 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> We currently checkpoint and restart unix98 ptys in the kernel.
> So what do we want to do about the userspace part?  In particular,
> if I run the following test program and checkpoint it, it
> has `tty` open.  What do we want to do about that?
>
> Just having user-cr/restart.c take an option to mount a new
> instance of devpts isn't enough - we don't get hooked up to
> restart.c's stdin/out obviously, and restart succeeds but the
> restarted program exists with -EIO.  At the same time, just
> doing a cradvise type of thing to plug fds 0,1,2 suffice for
> this testcase, but not for something more complicated which
> also has other unix98 ptys open.

In Kerrighed we are implementing something à-la-cradvise: we allow the
caller of sys_restart() to give replacement fds for arbitrary files. To achieve
this, each checkpointed file descriptor (struct file) has a unique key, and
sys_restart() takes a substitution table in parameter, where an entry is a
pair (key, fd).

In Kerrighed sys_checkpoint() exports a human-readable table of checkpointed
file descriptors, with types, fd in each checkpointed task, etc.
With Oren's patchset, I presume that some userspace tool could extract such a
table from the checkpoint.

Hope this makes the discussion progress...

Louis