[RFC] Mount point suggestions for cgroup

Jan Safranek jsafrane at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 04:07:28 PST 2009

On 11/04/2009 05:44 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Balbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi, All,
>>
>> We've been having a discussion as to what would be the right place to
>> mount the cgroup filesystem. Jan has been proactively looking into
>> this. The FHS has no recommendation since cgroup filesystem came in
>> much later.
>>
>> The options are
>>
>> 1. /dev/cgroup
>> 2. /cgroup
>> 3. Some place under /sys
>>
>> The problem with (2) is that it is quite non-standard and pollutes the
>> root directory. (3) requires some basic support to create a directory
>> for cgroup under /sys. (1) seems the most obvious choice since cpusets
>> were mounted under /dev/cpuset, but /dev is controlled by udev.
>>
>> Given the three choices or any other suggestions, is there a general
>> preference as to where we can mount it? The goal is to standardize
>> the mount point (if possible).
> Why the mount point has to be standardized ?

The mount point does not need to be set into stone so everybody *must*
use it. I, as Fedora packager, just need some default place where to
mount it, so applications which need to create/manage groups work
without any (potentially dumb) user assistance. Of course, advanced
admin can change the settings and move the groups anywhere, applications
still need to parse /proc/mounts or use appropriate library like libcgroup.

Jan