lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove previous cgroup

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 17:22:54 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Dwight Schauer <dschauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to get is quite regularly, but not every time:
>
> lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove previous cgroup
> '/cgroup/CONTAINER_NAME'

Can you please paste the output of cat /proc/cgroups and cat /proc/mounts

> lxc version: 0.6.3
>
> Cgroup memory controller: disabled (everything else is enabled)

Oh! man...

> Linux version 2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64 (Debian 2.6.30-6~bpo50+1)
> (nobse at debian.org) (gcc version 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) ) #1 SMP Mon
> Aug 17 08:42:50 UTC 2009
>
> This only seems to be happening when the primary started in the
> container exits before all child processes have exited.
>
> I've not seem this happen with lxc-stop, only when quitting a "pseudo"
> init process.
>
> I've tried destroying and recreating the container, un=mounting and
> remounting the given container, none work in that situation. Rebooting
> the root-node does correct the problem.

This should not really happen, /proc/cgroups will help us figure out what
is going on. As an alternative, if you can compile the debug cgroup container,
you'll get a lot of useful debug information (CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG).

Balbir