mblance of a beast, but Kat

Knighter coarsely at ctbank.com
Tue Jan 12 22:55:26 PST 2010

It will take too long.... Afterwards I understood that that would never
come to pass, that men won't change and that nobody can alter it and
that it's not worth wasting effort over it. Yes, that's so. That's the
law of their nature, Sonia,... that's so!... And I know now, Sonia, that
whoever is strong in mind and spirit will have power over them. Anyone
who is greatly daring is right in their eyes. He who despises most
things will be a lawgiver among them and he who dares most of all will
be most in the right! So it has been till now and so it will always be.
A man must be blind not to see it!" Though Raskolnikov looked at Sonia
as he said this, he no longer cared whether she understood or not. The
fever had complete hold of him; he was in a sort of gloomy ecstasy (he
certainly had been too long without talking to anyone). Sonia felt that
his gloomy creed had become his faith and code. "I divined then, Sonia,"
he went on eagerly, "that power is only vouchsafed to the man who dares
to stoop and pick it up. There is only one thing, one thing needful: one
has only to dare! Then for the first time in my life an idea took shape
in my mind which no one had ever thought of before me, no one! I saw
clear as daylight how strange it is that not a single person living in
this mad world has had the daring to go straight for it all and send it
flying to the devil! I... I wanted _to have the daring_... and I killed
her. I only wanted to have the daring, Sonia! That was the whole cause
of it!" "Oh hush, hush," cried Sonia, clasping her hands. "You turned
away from God and God has smitten you, has given you over to the devil!"
"Then Sonia, when I used to lie there in the dark and all this became
clear to me, was it a temptation of the devil, eh?" "Hush, don't laugh,
bla