S Anthony always in his mind, he would have

Lovorn stables at lignumvitae.nl
Wed Jan 13 09:01:04 PST 2010

Ceedings which I shall not describe to you--but which I shall tell you
of presently, not as a matter of conjecture but of actual fact. Meantime
returning to that evening altercation in deadened tones within the
private apartment of Miss de Barral's governess, what if I were to tell
you that disappointment had most likely made them touchy with each
other, but that perhaps the secret of his careless, railing behaviour,
was in the thought, springing up within him with an emphatic oath of
relief. `Now there's nothing to prevent me from breaking away from that
old woman.' And that the secret of her envenomed rage, not against this
miserable and attractive wretch, but against fate, accident and the
whole course of human life, concentrating its venom on de Barral and
including the innocent girl herself, was in the thought, in the fear
crying within her, `Now I have nothing to hold him with...'" I couldn't
refuse Marlow the tribute of a prolonged whistle "Phew! So you suppose
that..." He waved his hand impatiently. "I don't suppose. It was so. And
anyhow why shouldn't you accept the supposition. Do you look upon
governesses as creatures above suspicion or necessarily of moral
perfection? I suppose their hearts would not stand looking into much
better than other people's. Why shouldn't a governess have passions, all
the passions, even that of libertinage, and even ungovernable passions;
yet suppressed by the very same means which keep the rest of us in
order: early training--necessity--circumstances-- fear of consequences;
till there comes an age, a time when the restraint of years becomes
intolerable--and infatuation irresistible..." "But if infatuation--quite
possible I admit," I argued, "how do you