R age, this was sowing a long time before we cou

Potvin Agib vincible at fiets-fun.nl
Mon Jan 18 18:39:42 PST 2010

E Montaigu not being able to do without me, wrote letter after letter,
desiring I would hasten my journey; this, however, an accident
considerably prolonged. It was at the time of the plague at Messina, and
the English fleet had anchored there, and visited the Felucca, on board
of which I was, and this circumstance subjected us, on our arrival,
after a long and difficult voyage, to a quarantine of one--and--twenty
days. The passengers had the choice of performing it on board or in the
Lazaretto, which we were told was not yet furnished. They all chose the
Felucca. The insupportable heat, the closeness of the vessel, the
impossibility of walking in it, and the vermin with which it swarmed,
made me at all risks prefer the Lazaretto. I was therefore conducted to
a large building of two stories, quite empty, in which I found neither
window, bed, table, nor chair, not so much as even a joint-stool or
bundle of straw. My night sack and my two trunks being brought me, I was
shut in by great doors with huge locks, and remained at full liberty to
walk at my ease from chamber to chamber and story to story, everywhere
finding the same solitude and nakedness. This, however, did not induce
me to repent that I had preferred the Lazaretto to the Felucca; and,
like another Robinson Crusoe, I began to arrange myself for my one-and
twenty days, just as I should have done for my whole life. In the first
place, I had the amusement of destroying the vermin I had caught in the
Felucca. As soon as I had got clear of these, by means of changing my
clothes and linen, I proceeded to furnish the chamber I had chosen. I
made a good mattress with my waistcoats and shirts; my napkins I
converted, by sewing them together, into sheets; my robe de chambre into
a counterpane; and my cloak into a pillow. I made myself a seat with one
of my trunks laid flat, and a table with the other. I took out some
writing paper and an inkstand, and distributed, in the manner of a
library, a dozen books which I had with me. In a word, I so well
arranged my few movables, that except curtains and windows, I was almost
as commodiously lodged in this Lazeretto, a