She turned first flaming red, then very pale. I saw her turn to N

Whorton mahoganizes at vbkschiphol.nl
Tue Jan 19 03:52:12 PST 2010

 Miss Liston's altered face. "What does he want her for, I wonder?" she
said, in an agitation that made my presence, my thoughts, my suspicions,
nothing to her. "He said nothing to me about wanting to speak to her
to-night." And she walked slowly into the house, her eyes on the ground,
and all the light gone from her face and the joy dead in it. Whereupon
I, left alone, began to rail at the gods that a dear, silly little soul
like Miss Liston should bother her poor, silly little head about a
hulking fool; in which reflections I did, of course, immense injustice
not only to an eminent author, but also to a perfectly honorable, though
somewhat dense and decidedly conceited, gentleman. The next morning Sir
Gilbert Chillington ate dirt--there is no other way of expressing it--in
great quantities and with infinite humility. My admirable friend Miss
Pamela was severe. I saw him walk six yards behind her for the length of
the terrace; not a look nor a turn of her head gave him leave to join
her. Miss Liston had gone upstairs, and I watched the scene from the
window of the smoking-room. At last, at the end of the long walk, just
where the laurel-bushes mark the beginning of the shrubberies--on the
threshold of