cgroups and limit firefox processes cpu time

william william at cobradevil.org
Thu Jan 21 21:34:35 PST 2010

Hello list

I have a question about how i can limit the cpu for a firefox process on
a terminal server.

We have 150 firefox processes running on a terminalserver but there are
always people who take more cpu when they use flash or java.
Some firefox processes take sometimes about 50 percent cpu time.
Is there a way to give all firefox processes equal cpu shares so that
other people who are using firefox for research have no issues (slow
responding scrolling and menu)  because there are a few firefox
processes eating all the cpu time?

I hope i made clear what i meant, this is new to me and i haven't found
other people with examples doing the same.

e.g
1 core
firefox 1 80%
firefox 2 60%
firefox 3 10%

now what i want is that the firefox processes 1 and 2 get the cpu time
they want but if firefox process 3 is going todo something then he gets
the cpu time he want's because the first two are over there limit.

I will be happy to answer questions to make this more clear.

With kind regards

William