cgroups and limit firefox processes cpu time

william william at cobradevil.org
Fri Jan 22 03:33:33 PST 2010

Balbir Singh wrote:
> On Friday 22 January 2010 11:04 AM, william wrote:
>
>> Hello list
>>
>> I have a question about how i can limit the cpu for a firefox process on
>> a terminal server.
>>
>> We have 150 firefox processes running on a terminalserver but there are
>> always people who take more cpu when they use flash or java.
>> Some firefox processes take sometimes about 50 percent cpu time.
>> Is there a way to give all firefox processes equal cpu shares so that
>> other people who are using firefox for research have no issues (slow
>> responding scrolling and menu)  because there are a few firefox
>> processes eating all the cpu time?
>>

> Are these running on behalf of different users? You can always create a
> good hiearchy and organize. FAIR_USER scheduler option is going away
> soon. Some more context on the firefox applications and whose behalf
> they are running on, etc would help.

The terminal server only hosts firefox processes for different users
(user is only allowed to login once) to provide internet access in a
secure way.

So i have 150 firefox processes for different users. So i cannot set one
group, I have to put all those processes in a separate container if i
get it right?

William