No subject

Mon Mar 1 10:08:44 PST 2010

not visible inside the pid namespace doesn't make much difference but we would
want to carefully look at the details so we minimize userspace confusion.

I don't think a process tree rooted at pid 0 is a show stopper.  It is
somewhat confusing but we already have a forked process tree today,
and user space certainly hasn't fallen over.  In the case of a join if you want
to live in properly in the process tree you can daemonize and become a child
of init.

I think replacing a struct pid for another struct pid allocated in
descendant pid_namespace (but has all of the same struct upid values
as the first struct pid) is a disastrous idea.  It destroys the
uniqueness of struct pid and we have a lot of places where we check
that for equality of pid pointers, and that now would be broken.
Otherthings like proc directories also used a cached struct pid and
would start thinking the process was gone when it was not.