rched for him, he m

Brumbalow Garrott confidant at whimp.org
Sat Mar 27 12:08:22 PDT 2010

T snows which made the roads

to Mount Auburn impassable for several days. Nor can I forget that,
when Saturday evening

closed upon us, words and tokens of kindness came from the younger
members of my congregation, who had provided for the last earthly
things which the precious
dust of their young friend required; and so they seemed to bid me
rest from all care and thoughtfulness,

upon the "Sabbath day, according to the commandment." All which
should increase my feelings of sympathy and kindness
for the sick, and especially for the sick poor, whose rooms, and
whose dying hours, and whose griefs, are oftentimes in such contrast
to those into which divine and human
loving kindness seem striving to pour their abundant consolations. As
the family retired from the dying scene, and were weeping together, a
father came to my door,

in that great snow-storm, to say that his son, the young man, not a
member of my congregation, whom I had several
times visited, was near his end, and would like to see me. Stranger
comparatively though he was, and impassable as the streets were by
any vehicle,
and almost by foot passengers, my gratitude for the sweet
and peaceful end of my own dear child, and for her undoubted
admission to the realms of bliss, was such, that, within an

hour or two, I forced my way to a distant part of the city, to assist
another departing spirit for its flight. This heart has no more
fortitude, nor has it less of natural affection and sensibility, than
ordinarily falls to the lot of men; hence
those consolations
must have been great, that support and strength equal to the day,
that hope concerning my child an anchor sure and steadfast, which
enabled me thus to go from her clay, just cold, to aid a passing
spirit in obtaining like precious faith with hers, and the same
inheritance. My motive in thus lifting a little of the veil, or in
placing a light behind the transparency, of my private feelings, I
trust will
be seen to be, that I may comfort others with the comfort wherewith I
was comforted of God. But
there awaits me a blessing, with a joy, surpassing all that has gone
before. "My daughter is even now dead; but come

and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live." From her grave, which
was soon made by the side