[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL enforcement actions

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jul 4 08:06:01 UTC 2015

I'm slightly loath to bring this up but I think it does need doing...

There are various people involved with GPL enforcement actions for the
kernel, and there seems to be a lot of misinformation about it all.

Some parties are portrayed as acting excessively and inappropriately —
and with dubious motives — to enforce the GPL; others as being rabidly
*against* enforcement and effectively wanting a BSD-licensed free-for
-all because that supports their corporate interests.

None of these portrayals are entirely accurate, I'm sure, and the
histrionics don't really do anyone any good.

I'm sure we won't reach a universal consensus, but it would be useful
to get the interested parties together and have a coherent discussion
about it, so that everyone can have a proper understanding of the fact,
and also a reasonable idea of the 'feeling in the room' regarding if,
when and how we require compliance with the GPL.

--
dwmw2