[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Testing

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Tue Jul 7 17:52:04 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 10:18 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 08:25:21AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> On 07/07/2015 02:24 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>>> The main things I'm aware of that are happening at the minute are
>>> kselftest development, the 0day tester, plus kernelci.org and the other
>>> build and boot/test bots that are running against various trees.
>
>> Maybe list all known ones as a start ?
>
> Off the top of my head the automated ones I'm aware of are Olof's build
> & boot test, Dan running smatch and I think some other static analysis
> stuff, someone (not sure who?) running some coccinelle stuff, Coverity
> and I've got a builder too.

Plus mine, of course. Only part missing is automated bisect and e-mail
if something starts failing.

Which reminds me - do you use buildbot ? I think you are sending automated
e-mail on failures. It would help me a lot if someone had automated bisect
and the ability to e-mail results using buildbot to get me started.

>>> In terms of discussion topics some of the issues I'm seeing are:
>
>>>   - Can we pool resources to share the workload of running things and
>>>     interpreting results, ideally also providing some central way for
>>>     people to discover what results are out there for them to look at
>>>     for a given kernel in the different systems?
>
>> That might be quite useful. However, I have seen that it doesn't really
>> help to just provide the test results. kissb test results have been
>> available for ages, and people just don't look at it. Even the regular
>> "Build regression" e-mails sent out by Geert seem to be widely ignored.
>
>> What I really found to help is to bisect new problems and send an e-mail
>> to the responsible maintainer and to the submitter of the patch which
>> introduced it. I'd like to automate that with my test system, but
>> unfortunately I just don't have the time to do it.
>
> Yes, that's the "and interpreting" bit in the above - this only really
> works with people actively pushing.  You do start to get people checking
> themselves once things are perceived as something people care about but
> it does take active work to establish and maintain that.
>
> It also really helps if things are delivered promptly, and against trees
> people are actively developing for.  But even with clear reports and
> sometimes patches not everyone shows an interest.  As we get more and
> more actual testing running that's going to start to become more
> serious, breaking the build or boot will also mean that automated tests
> don't get to run.

Yes, I have seen that too. Especially 4.1 was pretty bad in this regard.
4.2 seems to be a bit better, though, so I hope that 4.1 was an exception.

Not really sure what to do about it. What turned out to help in the last
two companies I worked for was automatic revert of broken patches. That
sounds radical and I dislike it myself, but it helped.

> This is one of the things 0day gets really right, when it kicks in it'll
> e-mail people directly and promptly.

Agreed.

>>>   - Should we start carrying config fragments upstream designed to
>>>     support testing, things like the distro config fragments that keep
>>>     getting discussed are one example here but there's other things like
>>>     collections of debug options we could be looking at.  Should we be
>>>     more generally slimming defconfigs and moving things into fragments?
>
>>> and there's always the the perennial ones about what people would like
>>> to see testing for.
>
>> Sharing as many test bot configuration scripts and relevant configurations
>> as possible would be quite helpful. For example, I am building various
>> configurations for all architectures, but I don't really know if they
>> are relevant. Also, I would like to run more qemu configurations,
>> but it is really hard to find working ones.
>
> Grant (just CCed) was working intermittently on the qemu bit.  I think
> the last plan was to enhance the scripts Kevin has for driving his build
> farm.

Also of interest here (at least for me) would be to explore means to get
more hardware (both architectures and platforms) supported in qemu, but
I guess that may be a bit off topic.

Thanks,
Guenter