[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] dev/maintainer workflow security

Kees Cook keescook at chromium.org
Tue Jul 14 16:20:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 16:25 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
>> I don't agree with this. Distros are just one consumer. I think it's
>> worth examining how real-world devices end up running Linux. Telcos
>> pushing kernel updates, for example, jumps to mind. I think it's a
>> weak stance to say "well, they should update to the latest kernel". Is
>> it a failing of our community that it's so much work for these vendors
>> to update kernels? Is offering an LTS "good enough", or can we do
>> more? It's Linux's name that gets smeared by vendors who are terrible
>> at updating kernels. :(
>
> While security fixes (and the kernel security list) aren't transparent,
> I don't really see what else we can do.  Stable is our last best effort
> before it gets handed off, unless you have another proposal?

I don't presently, no. Stable is certainly good, but I think we're
missing a "real world workload testing" element somewhere. Again,
though, this should probably be on the vendors, but there is very
little interest in it, since the ROI appears bad.

>> > Perhaps the question here is would we be interested in making use of the
>> > core infrastructure initiative to give us a security analysis of parts
>> > of the kernel (and if so, which parts).
>>
>> I actually think the issue is body count. We have a lot of tools
>> already. We have coverity, for example, but it needs full-time work
>> (by a few people, I think) to trim false-positives, improve rules, and
>> extract the real bugs. Which companies are paying people to do this
>> full-time? Our numbers aren't improving much in this area. We've
>> actually been getting smaller... Dave Jones, come back, we all still
>> love Trinity! :)
>
> So you seem to be implying this is a funding problem?  We could easily
> apply to the CII for a full time position if that's the case (and we
> have a good job description).

It'll take more than 1 person. :) It's a cultural problem with the
tech industry: defensive security is very hard to measure, so it tends
to be ignored until something bad happens publicly. Unfortunately,
there is a LOT happening secretly that we need to defend against, and
everyone depending on Linux should be putting forward people to work
on that. Like testing, it appears to be poor ROI, though.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Chrome OS Security