[Lf_desktop] Minutes - LF desktop con call

John Cherry cherry at linux-foundation.org
Wed Feb 28 16:35:26 PST 2007

Wed, Feb 28, 3PM (pacific)
Attendees: John
           Tom
           Kurt
           Marc
           Steve
           Erich

Linux Foundation workgroup
  the desktop_architects list, the OSS promotion forum desktop sub WG,
  and mentioned on lsb_discuss.  We had a number of new people sign
  on to the list this week.
- The workgroup decided to meet every other week on a conf call and
  discuss any other business or work items on this list.  The call
  will continue at 3PM (pacific) every other Wednesday.  This should
  allow the Japanese community to attend.
- Agreed on the following core leadership for the Linux Foundation
  Desktop Linux workgroup

    Greg Kelleher - Chairman
    Marc Miller - Technical Lead; Desktop architect representative
                  to the board
    Steve Harris - Communication and Programs
    Community Leader - <to be filled>
    Community Leader - <to be filled>

  https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Desktop_Linux_Workgroup_leadership

- As an LF workgroup, we listed items that appeared in LSB roadmap.
  Many of these have desktop dependencies.

    Runtime environments
    - Perl
    - Python
    - Java

    Kernel interfaces
    - /proc, /sysfs APIs
    - crash dumps
    - wireless stack
    - virtualization

    Other
    - Portland (xdg-utils) interfaces
    - Other freedesktop.org specs (i.e. icon, menu specs)
    - Printing (CUPS, OpenPrinting, etc.)
    - Sound/multimedia
    - OpenSSL
    - Kerberos
    - Packaging/installation

- One area of focus which came out of the desktop architects was for
  sound and multimedia, particularly a common set of audio interfaces.
  Paul Davis basically said that audio on Linux sucks and he has
  volunteered to bring concerned parties together to work on a common
  audio API.

  Action item: Kurt Taylor will be contacting Paul and will generate
               interest/participation on the desktop_amm list.  It
               is likely that the effort to create a common audio
               API will become a workgroup.

Funding Opportunities for 2007
==============================
- There are many items in the 2007 DTL Plan that require sponsorship
  and involvement by the workgroup.  Everybody agrees that it would be
  good to raise the fund for these activities up front so that we
  don't have to tin-cup for every event.
- Joint fundraising is being discussed offline with major stakeholders.
  It was suggested that we may want to include HP and Oracle in these
  discussions even though they are not active in the desktop workgroup.
- Desktop funds would be used for activities such as GUADEC, aKademy,
  DAM meetings, technical summits, ISV events, LSB events, etc.

Community Leaders in the Desktop Workgroup
- It was suggested that we provide positions for community leaders in
  the desktop working group.  A GNOME and KDE leader would be a great
  start.  We will be socializing suggestions for these leadership
  positions on this list.

Next conference call: Wed, March 14, 3PM (pacific)