[Lf_desktop] 2007 Linux Client Survey - please review

John Walicki walicki at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 25 11:37:37 PDT 2007

John Cherry wrote on 09/24/2007 06:51:13 PM:

> See attached survey.  It contains updates from all the feedback I have
> received so far.

Hi John
I noticed that some of the questions use circle check boxes and some use
square check boxes.  Is there a meaningful pattern? If not, the survey
should be consistent.  Just pick one check box style.

3.1 Critical Applications
We might consider adding browser plugins and VPN Remote Access to the
list.

Others application gaps ...
I'm wondering if other enterprises are trying to dynamically manage their
desktop firewalls.  Firewall management via editing iptables isn't a
particularly easy end-user solution.  Should we add "Firewall management"
?

I'd be interested to hear if survey participants/organizations are
adopting Eclipse based applications.  That might be too low level however
to ask in this question.  Maybe that is a developer/IDE question that
doesn't belong here.

There continues to be debate if we really need an Antivirus solution on
the Linux desktop.   Is A/V a perceived need or a real need?  It would be
interesting to get survey data about A/V.

5.2 Application and Device Support
In the second checkbox, "appliations" is misspelled.

5.3 Change VOIP to VoIP,  Add Bluetooth Headsets

6.1 Add "Accessibility"

Either in 6.1 or 7.1 Add "Ease of Use" or "Usability"

John Walicki
IBM I/T Open Client Architect