[Lf_kernel_messages] Re: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Jul 8 22:36:31 PDT 2007

Kunai, Takashi wrote:
> (1) Your kernel development proposal will be greatly supported by
> Japanese vendor community. At the same time, it needs support from the
> kernel communities, as well.

There is a very strong reason for the kernel community to NOT support
this: it makes it much harder to deal with bug reports.

Like it or not, English is a lingua franca[1] of the technology
industry.  When I deal with the rest of the kernel community, I use
English, instead of my native language (Swedish).

For things that are targetted toward end users, that's a different
matter, of course, but kernel messages are inherently directed toward
developers and technically sophisticated users.

	-hpa