[linux-pm] [RFC] Tying sysfs "wakeup" file to platform-level handler

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:34:01 PST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Deepak Saxena wrote:

> Ack. This is what we are already doing.  The decision on whether or
> not a device should wake us up from suspend is handle via OHM on the
> XO and we set the OLPC-specific flags in /sys/power/wakeup_events as
> there is no standard way to specify wakeup events from userland.
>
> My proposal uses the existing sysfs interface to connect into a platform
> level handler that can set the appropriate low-level HW bits. The
> decision of whether or not to enable the device's wakeup capability
> would still be left to user space.

Then I must have misunderstood the point of your earlier message.  Are
you saying that the real problem is to tie the existing
/sys/devices/.../power/wakeup flags into your platform handler?

The sources you listed (ac_power, battery_state, and so on) are all
pretty much platform-level entities to begin with.  Their drivers must
already contain or communicate with a fair amount of platform-level
code.  So why should there be any trouble about adding a new
communication channel for wakeup settings?

Alan Stern