[linux-pm] Freezer: Don't count threads waiting for frozen filesystems.

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Mon Oct 27 14:09:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:38 +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > > Hi.

> > > Ah.. that makes me see how vfs_check_frozen was getting triggered...
> > > (fs/namei.c, below).
> >
> > Nigel, thanks for the patch, it makes thinks a lot clearer.
> >
> > >From a quick look through the patch it seems to solve a bunch of cases
> > where new fuse requests during the freezing could cause problems.  But
> > it doesn't do anything with requests that are already under way when
> > the freezing starts, which would still result in all the same
> > problems.
> >
> > Take this scenario:
> >
> >  1) process A does rename("/mnt/fuse/a", "/mnt/fuse/b")
> >  2) request goes to process B serving the fuse filesystem
> >  3) filesystems are frozen, no new fuse requests
> >  4) processes are frozen, let's say B first, then A
> >  5) freezing A will fail, since it's still waiting for the request to finish
>
> I'll have a look at the code again. I deliberately didn't stop existing
> requests, but perhaps that's the wrong behaviour.
>
> In the above scenario, process B won't see process A's new request until
> post-resume if the filesystem is already frozen, so steps 4 & 5 don't
> happen.

No, I mean the filesystem is only frozen at 3 not before, so B is
already processing the request by the time the filesystem gets frozen.

> Process B will also always be frozen before process A if process
> A is userspace (most likely in the above scenario) or was mounted after
> process B. (I've had this patch distributed as is for almost a year,
> with no problems at all, so I believe I'm right here).

Both A and B are userspace processes.  The order of freezing userspace
processes is basically random, there's no way to make sure that
processes doing work on behalf of a fuse filesystem (B) are frozen
after processes accessing the fuse filesystem (A).

Miklos