[linux-pm] Freezer: Don't count threads waiting for frozen filesystems.

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Tue Oct 28 15:02:35 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Convert them all to wait_event_freezeable.
> >
> > You mean convert mutexes to event queues?  Not a very good idea.
> >
> > I fear we are going down the same path as the last time.  I still
> > don't think rewriting the VFS is the right solution to the freezing
> > problem.  But hey, if you want, sumbit a patch or an RFD and lets see
> > what others think.
>
> So, what solution would you prefer?

I would prefer a freezer-less solution.  Suspend to ram doesn't need
the freezer, and with the kexec approach hibernate could be done
without it also.

I don't think adding hacks to the VFS to work around the issues with
the freezer is the right way to solve this.  But this is just my
personal opinion, the VFS maintainers may think otherwise.

Miklos