[linux-pm] Freezer: Don't count threads waiting for frozen filesystems.

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Wed Oct 29 15:07:26 PDT 2008

On Wednesday, 29 of October 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 22:11 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > The current design of the freezer is rather simplistic and I'm not really sure
> > it's the best one possible.  Perhaps we can redesign the freezer to work
> > differently and handle the cases like fuse.
>
> Why redo what I've already done? In the full patch, you have the basis
> of what you're talking about. I haven't seen a failure to freeze fuse or
> anything else in a year of use.

Still, Miklos noticed some problems with it.

I'm not talking about doing things on top of the current signal-based
freezing mechanism, but rather about moving the freezer a bit closer towards
the scheduler.  Maybe this is the way to go.  I don't know.

In any case, the freezing of user space seems to be much simpler than modifying
all drivers to add suspend synchronization.

Thanks,
Rafael