[linux-pm] Freezer: Don't count threads waiting for frozen filesystems.

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Oct 29 16:56:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 04:37:30PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> I discussed this last summer with Rafael.  It's a lot harder than it
> looks, for all sorts of reasons.  For example, what about user tasks
> that have access to memory-mapped I/O regions?

The only interesting cases of this I know of are X (which ought to stop
doing so in the near future) and certain sound operations (which are
going via a well-defined API anyway and need to handle devices going
away at random, so not a problem). There may be some other niche cases,
but really - if you're mmapping hardware then it's generally because you
haven't written a proper kernel driver. Do that instead. Runtime power
management's already going to make you wildly unhappy.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org