[linux-pm] Freezer: Don't count threads waiting for frozen filesystems.

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Fri Oct 31 05:44:41 PDT 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> You don't. You just use FUSE_MIGHT_FREEZE to stop them before they take
> locks that might cause problems. So my suggestion is:

Before?  FUSE_MIGHT_FREEZE is called _after_ i_mutex is taken by the
VFS.

> 1) Stop new requests at FUSE_MIGHT_FREEZE
> 2) Handle existing requests by using freezer_do_not_count in
> request_send and request_send_nowait before the spin_lock and
> freezer_count after the spin_unlock.
>
> With #2, we don't need to care about whether the request is completed
> before freezing completes or post-resume.
>
> If the userspace process tries to use an already frozen fuse filesystem
> and gets frozen, that's okay because we'll sit waiting for an answer,
> not be counted by the freezer and so not contribute to any failure to
> freeze processes.
>
> If the userspace process completes its work, we'll either get caught at
> the freezer_count (if we've already been told to freeze) or be gotten
> later, after exiting the fuse code.

Yes, this is the variant of categorizing sleeps to freezing and
non-freezing.  The problem is, you need to do that with all
mutex_lock(&inode->i_mutex) instances as well.  Try grepping for that
in fs/*.c!

It _is_ possible, it's just not practical.

Miklos